image smeaton, j_narrative of edystone lighthouse_1791_pl6
Image number: RS.10378
Credit: © The Royal Society
Looking for a special gift? Buy a print of this image.

Rudyard’s Lighthouse on the Eddystone Rocks

Date

1784

Creator

James Record (active 1768-1790s, British), Engraver

Object type

Library reference

R63812

Material

Technique

Dimensions

height (print): 490mm
width (print): 310mm

Subject

Content object

Description

Depiction of the south elevation and section of the second lighthouse built upon the Eddystone Rocks, near Plymouth, following the destruction in 1703 of Henry Winstanley’s first version. This second lighthouse, a conical wooden structure built around a core of brick and concrete, was constructed under the management of the silk merchant and property developer John Rudyard (or Rudyerd; 1650- ca.1718). It was completed in 1709 and destroyed by a fire in 1755, subsequently replaced by the famous Smeaton lighthouse.

Plate 6 of A narrative of the building and a description of the construction of the Edystone lighthouse with stone, by John Smeaton (London, 1791). The Royal Society’s copy was donated by the author on 20 January 1791.

The plate is inscribed: ‘South ELEVATION & SECTION of RUDYERD’S LIGHTHOUSE, Completed in 1709; represented as it stood previous to its demolition by Fire in the Year 1755.’

Includes scale: 1 inch = 6 feet

Associated place

<The World>
   > Europe
      > United Kingdom