Bishop’s Observatory, Twickenham

    Date
    1873
    Creator - Organisation
    Day & Son, Lithographers
    Object type
    Library reference
    Tracts 679/1/1
    Material
    Technique
    Dimensions
    height (print): 150mm
    width (print): 224mm
    Subject
    Content object
    Description
    External view, from the north-east, of the observatory of George Bishop junior at Meadowbank, Twickenham, in the Borough of Richmond (formerly Middlesex), England. The observatory’s main instrument, a 7-inch Dollond refracting telescope, is just visible at the dome’s apeture.

    From the pamphlet Views and description of Mr. Bishop’s Observatory, Twickenham, compiled by George Bishop jr., (Richmond, Hiscocke and Son, Printers, 1873).

    The print is inscribed lower right: ‘Day & Son, Lithrs. To the Queen.’ Main title below: ‘MR. BISHOP’S OBSERVATORY FROM THE NORTH-EAST’.

    The original observatory, established by George Bishop senior, was at South Villa, Regent’s Park, London. Several leading astronomers worked there, including William Rutter Dawes (1799-1868) and John Russell Hind FRS (1823-1895). The instruments were moved to Twickenham and this new observatory by Bishop’s son in the years 1861-1863.
    Associated place
    <The World>
       > Europe
          > United Kingdom
    Credit
    ©The Royal Society
    Image number
    RS.11416
    Powered by CollectionsIndex+/CollectionsOnline