image ms_131_67
Image number: RS.9372
Credit: © The Royal Society

Plan of the stone circles of Avebury

Date

8 July 1663

Creator

John Aubrey (1628-1697, British), Antiquary

Object type

Material

Dimensions

height (drawing): 272mm
width (drawing): 386mm

Subject

Content object

Description

Map study of the major standing stones at Avebury with contemporary roads, field boundaries and houses. A river or ditch is shown, [intended as the river Kennet?] to the west of the main village with the church of Avebury St James. Inscribed left: “AVEBURY” in pencil and with an inscription in ink above [by Henry Oldenburg]: “By Mr Awbrey july 8 1663”. The map shows paired stones at each entrance to the site and a detail of a four-stoned cove features upper left above the main title inscription.

This map, Aubrey’s “plaine-table” study, is discussed in detail in the book Avebury reconsidered: from the 1660s to the 1990s, by Peter J Ucko et al (London, Unwin Hyman, 1991), pp.119-129 [where it is styled “Plan C”].

Associated place

<The World>
   > Europe
      > United Kingdom